At least 64 terrorists have escaped from Kuje prison, Abuja during an attack by Boko Haram terrorists on Tuesday night.
Earlier, it was reported that 600 inmates were said to have escaped from the custodial centre, and 300 have so far been captured, The Punch reports.
According to the Minister of Defence, Major General Bashir Magashi (retd.), 64 Boko Haram terrorists were held in custody, stressing that they had all been freed by the attackers.
Magashi while addressing journalists at the centre said:
“Well, we too heard the attack. The incident started between 10 and 10:25 am the security operatives recaptured some. What actually happened was they came in their numbers and released some of the inmates. We are now trying to see the kind of inmates they released.
“We are trying to see what we can do to see that all escapes within the prison accommodation are brought back to the prison yard.
“About 994 inmates, we have about 600 already inside now. Many people are being recaptured. The people who came to do this from the records belong to a particular group, from all indicators they are Boko Haram.
“Currently, they are about 64 of them as inmates and we could not locate them.”